Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

How to Make a Solar Still

Solar Still



Dig a hole in the ground approximately 36inches across and 18inches deep. Place a collecting can in the center, then cover the hole with a sheet of plastic formed into a cone. The sun's heat raises the temperature of the air and soil below and vapor is produced. As the air becomes saturated, water condenses on the underside of the plastic, running down into the container. This is especially effective in desert regions and elsewhere when it is hot during the day and cold at night. The Plastic cools more quickly than the air, causing heavy condensation. This kind of still should collect at least 1 pint over a 24 hour period.
  The still may also double as a trap. Insects and small snakes are attracted by the plastic. They may slide down into the cone or wriggle underneath it and drop into the hole and then cannot climb out. A solar still can be used to distill pure water from poisonous or contaminated liquids.

* Roughen underside of sheet with a stone to ensure droplets run down it. Use stones or weights to secure edges and keep cone shape. Fix can so that trapped creatures cannot tip it over.
    If feasible use a syphon to a lower level to draw off water without disturbing the still.

Warning about Urine and Sea Water
Never drink either... NEVER!!! But both can produce drinking water if distilled, and sea water will provide you with a residue of salt.



6 comments:

  1. This is really valuable information, I like how you break it down so it's easy to see how to make a solar still, and the picture really adds a nice touch. If I ever get stranded I will have this knowledge to take with me!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I worked hard on this one. I really appreciate your google plus and you taking time to comment. And yes if you do ever get stranded on a desert island or anywhere without water (which I hope you don't) then you know what to do when water is scarce. Thanks again!!

      Delete
  2. First off let me just say AMAZING POST...
    I have heard and seen different people drinking their own urine trying to survive in the wild, and I have also heard several well known survival experts say that it is the worst thing that you could ever do. And Then I read your post about how you can actually make drinking water by Distilling it. WOW, that is really thinking outside the box. Thanks so much for your post. I will be adding your blog to my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's my favorite and I put it on my favorites, lol. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi!!! I would like to thank you sooo much, because your articles are helping me learn what to do and not do on an island, and there helping me write my book about a plane crashing on a stranded island. Thank you so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Im sorry I haven't been posting here lately, but look for more post soon!!

      Delete

please feel free to leave any comments or questions you may have, if there is anything that you would like to see a post about just let us know, we will do our best to submit to your requests!!